Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Snowed In...

Anyone want to guess where our yard ends and the street begins?
As in we really are.  Snowed in, that is.  Yesterday we found ourselves under a severe storm warning, and today it's a blizzard warning.  Who knew a blizzard was worse than a severe storm?  The things you learn.  Anyway, the city is shut down, schools canceled, the roads are closed and if you do venture out, good luck if you slide off the road, because no one's going to come get you.  By the end of it all there should be close to a foot of snow on my lawn, and the 30-50 mile an hour wind is drifting the snow, so it's even deeper in some spots, and you can't drive because visibility is zero.  To top it off, the high tomorrow:  4.  That is not a typo.  FOUR.  4.  FOR.  The low? NEGATIVE 11.  Balmy.  This is where I live.

All I keep thinking is, it's November.   If this is fall, what happens in the winter here?  Yesterday we ventured out in our "severe storm" to stock up on supplies like bread, milk, nacho cheese and Coke.  I thought we should buy things like water and batteries but, apparently, that is over-reacting and, besides, water seemed a little redundant.   I prefer the term cautious.  This weather doesn't seem to affect anyone here.  In SoCal, when it rained more than inch it became a county-wide state of emergency.  We'd watch Storm Watch 2010 on every channel for hours as we wait anxiously to see if that one dog is rescued from the roaring rapids of the L.A. "river".  An hour ago my sister called to ask if I wanted to have a girl's night tonight and I said, "There's a blizzard warning in effect until 11 pm." and she said, "And...?"  And?  AND?!?  And I intend my death to be from old age, not death by freezing in the TGI Friday's parking lot.

It has been 12 years since I've lived through a snowy winter and there are lots of things I've forgotten, like snow is only fun until you're old enough to pick up a snow shovel.  That's a lesson my two young sons are rapidly learning.  Also, it takes 3 times longer than the rest of your body for your butt to warm up.  This is because there is more fat in your rear end, which means less blood, which means less heat.  My tush is still warming up from yesterday around 2:45.   Also, there is a magical quality about snow pants that immediately makes every child have to pee.  It's a fact, look it up.

So I just wanted all of you to know we're fine.  We've hunkered down, waiting out the storm, doing things like making popcorn on the stove and playing Settlers of Catan with the boys.  We'll probably watch a Christmas movie tonight, under quilts, and drink hot cocoa until the kids start to bicker and fight because they've been trapped inside all day and someone is breathing someone else's air and then we'll all end up in separate rooms with a sentence of never-ending grounding hanging above everyone's heads if they dare speak to each other while Ben and I discuss how we're going to afford snow tires and Christmas at the same time.   It's gonna be a long, four five seven months.

Happy Winter everyone.  If no one hears from us by next week, please send help to dig us out!

2 comments:

  1. Simply hilarious - all of it. Although I feel for you because I sit here, wrapped up in a blanket because I'm freezing at 50 degrees. No, not FIVE, FIFTY! Oh boy, good luck to you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got "snowed in" on Sunday. Well, as snowed in as it ever gets in SoCal. We had over an inch of snow!

    ReplyDelete