Tuesday, September 14, 2010

If You Were Here...

...these are the things we would talk about as we passed in the hall at church or waited for our kids after school or as we set up or took down some sort of event.  I would tell you...

That I miss you.

Right now my house smells like apples and cinnamon and bacon and a little night air.  I think if I could bottle it I would be a millionaire.  The nights are stating to smell like wood smoke and I open all my windows even if it's 40 degrees outside because I love the smell of night and smoke.

There are THREE houses with life-size, metal, moose cutouts on their front lawns on the way to Cooper's school.  I don't understand this particular aesthetic;  I could chalk one house up to quirk, but there are three of them.

Ben and I had the discussion the other day about which we'd rather have Evie marry:  a over-privileged, BMW-driving, condescending, blue-blood or an uneducated, jacked up truck-driving, redneck.  Still not sure where we fall on that one.

I bought peaches from a lady's roadside stand today.  Well, roadside stand is being generous, it was actually the trunk of her giant, white Buick.  Ten pounds for $10.  They are the size of softballs.  I think, perhaps, I will make fresh peach ice-cream this weekend.  If you come visit me, I will give you some.

Ben and I discussed, for the first time, what it would look like if we decided to stay here.  I cried the whole time.  We stopped talking.

Sometimes I feel guilty that my sisters and my mom are not enough and I miss my friends terribly.

There are kids on both Cooper and Isaac's football teams with broken arms and they both still play.  They wear padded cast guards.  I'm still trying to decide if this is dedication or bad parenting.  Now I'm trying to decide if I am judgmental.

At this very moment there are two little boys (5 and 7) from next door, trying to get Evie to come out and talk with them.  She is taunting them from our living room window.  One them just said to the other, "Forget this, let's just go up there, open up the door and tie her up." 

I have one pair of closed toe shoes, my sneakers, and one pair of full length pants.  I'm thinking this may pose a problem for winter.

But mostly I would tell you that I miss you.  Lots.

6 comments:

  1. I miss you, too! You'd better stay there for only one year, or I'll have to "go up there, open up the door and tie [you]up" and take you home (meaning southern CA).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Laurie - brilliant! I am curious how the taunting all ended!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want some peaches!!!!!!!!!!

    I'm going to be helping Laurie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all sounds really nice to me. But I would be like you, and miss my friends terribly. But the cool crisp fresh air would be heavenly. And the peaches sound delicious. Definitely get some pictures of that peach ice cream. That's crazy that boys play with broken bones. And I'm thinking you're gonna have to get yourself some more clothes. Brrr......
    But yes, I need to know how the taunting all ended too! I am betting Evie could hold her own and no boy would even be able to get close enough to her to tie her up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be the driver in the get-away car that Laurie will put you in after she has tied you up. I miss you SOOOOOOOOO much! Come home soon! :) Luv ya. ---Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with the other girls! Somehow I would be in the get away car. I miss you soooo much!

    ReplyDelete