Saturday, July 10, 2010

Here We Go...

We were dreading the trip out to Idaho. We have done that trip what seems like a hundred times and none of them can be descibed as wonderful. Fifteen hours in a car with anyone, let alone three kids, is never fun even when you do your best to be entertaining(Okay kids, whoever can not fight with someone the longest gets to pick where we stop to pee!). So we were suprised when this trip turned out to be...pleasant.

Ben left with Isaac, Linus the dog and the truck around 1 pm on Saturday and Evie and I stayed to pick up Cooper after scout camp. Ev and I went to get pedicures and then went shopping for a bluetooth for the trip. Good girl time. Cooper arrived back at about 3 pm and the plan was to head over to a friend's house for him to shower off the scout camp stink and then head out. Cooper arrived smelling suprisingly good (thanks to a combination of a shower the night before and the ferry ride from Catalina, he smelled like the ocean. I still contend that scout camp on an island is not real scout camp). We skipped the shower and headed out right then. Thanks to Ben and Isaac's numerous pit stops we arrived at the hotel just outside of Vegas about the same time. We relaxed, headed to the pool and ordered take-out and had a nice night.

The next morning we left Vegas and drove to Orem, to stay the night with Ben's parents. We had a fun, but short, visit with them and the next morning made the last 4 hour leg of our journey to Idaho Falls. I think that's when most of the panic set in. What the heck were we doing? I was moving into a house I had never seen in person, in a town I swore I'd never live in, where I know exactly 9 people, all based on a feeling. Then Ben called to let me know that the landlord had just called and the painting and carpets still hadn't been done and we couldn't move in yet, and what did we want to do? This is not exactly the path I saw my life taking (not even three weeks ago did I see this path). Then my dad called to let me know that he and my mom and my sister's family were meeting us at the house and that they had arranged for the elders quorum to help us move in, and Mom wanted to know what we wanted for dinner. Slowly that knot in my stomach began to untangle itself. This is why we are here. Family. I'm sure the Lord has some other concurrent plan working (or maybe he doesn't, who knows) but for now I have family. My parents live 2.34 miles away (yes, we googled it), same with my brother's family and two more sisters, my other sister lives about another half mile from there. My kids have cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents here. I have brothers and sisters and parents. That's really cool. I don't know for sure why we are here. I do know the Lord told us to come and we listened even though it made no sense. If it really is all about family, well, that's pretty okay to me.

2 comments:

  1. I think what you guys are doing is awesome. When we were told to move to Ut. into a house we had never seen, we were just as confused. We even left Ut. confused. But we got the answer as to why we were told to move there three months after we had moved back to Cali. You can never go wrong when you do what you are told :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing. Family is a wonderful thing and I'm glad you're close to yours again! Things work out in weird ways...

    ReplyDelete